Human Resource best practices have been around for decades. They have served as guidelines for many HR Professionals.
Human Resource Management is concerned with all aspects of how people are employed and managed in organizations. The HR Department plays a significant role in how profitable and successful a company can become.
Human Resource Practices are strategic in nature. Following habits and policies that are considered in the industry to be the best practices can ensure that the HR Department is doing its part to create a successful organization.
When these best practices are combined, their impact is even more profound.
Employment security is the first best practice for HR. It is a social contract between the organization and its employees. It benefits the organization because it helps them retain their people. This concept of security is essential and underpins almost everything HR does.
The second best practice in HR, this enables an organization to hire people who are fit for the job. Making a right selection for the position is a key to building a competitive advantage. Pre-employment assessment is used to uncover three key candidates’ characteristics.
- Ability: the person who has the ability to do the job and have the right technical skill and soft skills.
- Trainability: the person who has the aptitude to learn and develop or improve his/her skills.
- Commitment: feeling the responsibility towards the mission and goals of an organization.
Self-managed and Effective Teams
High-performance teams are crucial for any company when it comes to achieving success. An effective teamwork in the workplace achieves more than a single individual. Here are five techniques for promoting effective teamwork:
- Give the power to make Decisions: Collaborative leadership is about skillful management of relationships that enables the team members to succeed while accomplishing a mutual objective. It is a great motivation to give the team the power to make a decision for effective teamwork.
- Share clearly defined team objectives: When a team has a clear target to aim, their performance and overall effectiveness improve.
- Promote efficient team meetings: One way to promote effective teamwork is through productive team meetings by using status reports.
- Make individual progress visible to the whole team: To promote effective teamwork, the team needs to be aware of the progress.
- Make it fun by melting the ice: Working in a team should be fun and inspiring, not an annoying obligation. Integrating a little bit of fun and humor promotes effective teamwork in the workplace is a great strategy.
HR needs to encourage different teams to work together in the organization.
The fourth Human Resource best practice. One of the tools companies use to attract, retain and motivate its people is through Compensation Management.
Learning is also increasingly important for the latest generation, such as Millennials and Generation Z. It has become a way to stay innovative, grow faster, and sustain a competitive advantage.
Reduction of Status Difference
Reduction of status differences can be applied by treating employees equal. Everyone in the organization deserves equal respect and could help in promoting the sharing of ideas.
Information sharing is important to share ideas and by encouraging open communication about strategy, financials, and operations creates a culture in which people feel they are trusted.
These best practices also need to align with what the organization is striving for. It improves morale, reduces turnover, increases productivity, and boost guest satisfaction.